[crossfire] Re: [Crossfire-devel] I'll commit the large denomination coin archtypes, I'd like to edit the amber coin to look more ambery (any objections)?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Dec 27 01:17:03 CST 2005

Miguel Ghobangieno wrote:
> I'll commit the large denomination coins (unless
> objections are raised), I'd like to edit the amber
> coin to look more ambery (any objections) (currently
> it looks kinda like copper rather then a solidified
> transparent liquid... it's a shame CF doesn't support
> PNG semi-transparency)?

  I _think_ the opengl mode of the gtk v2 client does deal with semi
transperancy correctly.  I didn't have any images to actually check that with,
but opengl should deal with it just fine, and it basically just passes in the
raw data.

  The other clients don't - it's a fairly costly operation to do - its a lot
simpler for the graphic hardware to just say 'overwrite some pixels with this
data' than to actually blend the data.  But its is really the fact that the X
library/server doesn't really have any support to do it - you can do shape
masks, but not transparencies - to do that, you'd basically need to do all the
graphic operations yourself.

> I think for the code aspect there should be a list of
> regions where amber and jade coins may be given as
> change. If on a shopmap the region matches one of
> these then amber and jade may be given. I think this
> list should include azamuindo... but not much else.
> All shops should accept amber and jade. (Also, as
> errac noted, they should probably accept imperials,
> also I have committed the bank card arch so work can
> be done on that too :D).

  If a more universal higher denomination coin was needed, I wonder if mithril
coins would/could make sense?  Within the game, that is sort of universal metal,
and highly valued.

  Another random thought is to have some logic to use gems to pay for items.
Gems have a fixed value, so one could make it easier that the shopkeeper will
just take the gems directly instead of the player needing to sell them.  That
sort of fixes the problem at hand.  But to do that, I think some new option like
'pay_with_gems' that the player can set is needed.