[crossfire] Re: In-game games

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun Jul 3 02:51:50 CDT 2005

      Interesting ideas, but there's two main issues I see with this:

      1) It would complicate the client to add it

Well, so be it :)

      2) Much of it would need to be done on the server to avoid cheating (perhaps

      create an extension to the CF protocol that calls gtk bindings on the client

      (which would be a nice extendable way to do it) based upon signals from the

      server, and upon button presses keypresses etc. send callbacks to the server.

      The problem is that this would break old clients and non-gtk clients when using

      those skills)

Yes, as inventory & everything else handling is currently.
As I see it, it's a matter of adding a new player mode, and making
appropriate commands ('use tool', and so on)
Also, I see those games as optional (player says whether to do'em or
use skill the current way). So old clients retain the current
behaviour, and new versions let players play mini games when they want
(so you can pick a lock every now and then).

      3) The minigames could be a *major* pain when dealing with maps that have

      numerous traps that you have to disarm, because you would be playing the

      minigame sometimes upwards of 20 times in a row and it could get quite annoying.

See previous reply :)

Ryo