[crossfire] Random ideas.

temitchell at sympatico.ca temitchell at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 6 18:42:46 CDT 2005

      How is this for a proposal:

      1) Increase the stat limit to 35.  However, this would be done by effectively

      stretching out the bonuses, eg, the bonuses a character currently gets at 30,

      under the new system they would need a 35, so bonuses at 30, 25, etc, would be

      lower than they are now, thus weakening hte characters (I really don't want to

      make any change that would let characters become yet even more powerful)  I'm

      still mixed on this, especially see point at end

Sounds good, this means even players with really good starting rolls (this being everyone who spends some time at it) are not maxed out.

      2) By default, stat potions would be temporary, but with a long duration (in

      real time, like an hour).  A small percentage of the time, they may permanently

      increase a stat.  [...] If stat potions gave me a temporary boost,

      I'd probably drink a potion of almost all the stats before going into a dungeon.

I like it.

      3) It could be interesting to make potions that would increase stats by 2 points

      (greater strenght potion, etc) on the temporary basis.  These greater potions

      would also have a greater chance of permanently increasing a stat, but would

      still only increase it by 1 point)

Sounds like a good idea.

      4) Change #2, while not incompatible with existing code, maks things pretty

      unfair to new players who have to play by different stat raising rules that

      players who have been on the server that predate this change.  I suppose someone

      could write a script that basically adjusts existing characters stats (knowing

      that at best, the starting total would have to in some range or something), but

      that is likely to make existing characters not especially happy.

        Likewise, change #1, presuming the stats aren't lowered for existing

      characters, would weaken characters (characters would not have as many

      hp/sp/grace as before, do less damage, be slower, etc).  This can actually be

      pretty annoying - it might have been that you could pretty easily kill a dragon,

      but with the changes, dragon now kills you - it'd probably take a little time

      for players to effectively 'rediscover' their characters

This happens to some degree whenever something changes, in this case since it is a global change to players, massive warning campaign should be used to let people know.  Then people will start drinking heavily.