[crossfire] treasure chests & wealth

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Jul 8 12:14:53 CDT 2005

The discussion of too much wealth in crossfire often comes up.  Looking at the
random map treasure chest code, I found some oddities.

  Now I'm not sure how much of the excessive wealth comes from random maps, so
this may not be a really big deal....

  But looking at the code, the deeper down in the dungeon you are, the more
treasures it creates on a level.

  This is readily apparant in some cases, when pretty much every space on the
map is covered with a chest.

  This in itself wouldn't be bad.  However, the deeper in the dungeon, the
higher the difficulty rating, and this means better treasure.  So not only do
you get better treasure, you get more of it.  And this completely ignores the
treasure that the creatures you are killing have.

  So my proposed fix is to eliminate/reduce the increase of treasures that show
up on maps.  Deeper levels are still better, simply because better quality stuff
will be created.

  (as an aside, there are basically 2 modes of treasure creation on the random
maps - in one mode, a chest is created for each treasure.  In the other mode, it
places only a few treasure chests, but fills them with a whole bunch of
treasures.  This is why at deep levels, you sometimes see the maps covered with
chests, and other times, just a few chests with tons of stuff in them)