[crossfire] treasure chests & wealth

Vernon T Rhyne trhyne at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 8 21:41:31 CDT 2005

Quoting Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     >:

      The discussion of too much wealth in crossfire often comes up.  Looking at

      the

      random map treasure chest code, I found some oddities.

        Now I'm not sure how much of the excessive wealth comes from random maps,

      so

      this may not be a really big deal....

        But looking at the code, the deeper down in the dungeon you are, the more

      treasures it creates on a level.

        This is readily apparant in some cases, when pretty much every space on the

      map is covered with a chest.

        This in itself wouldn't be bad.  However, the deeper in the dungeon, the

      higher the difficulty rating, and this means better treasure.  So not only do

      you get better treasure, you get more of it.  And this completely ignores the

      treasure that the creatures you are killing have.

        So my proposed fix is to eliminate/reduce the increase of treasures that

      show

      up on maps.  Deeper levels are still better, simply because better quality

      stuff

      will be created.

        (as an aside, there are basically 2 modes of treasure creation on the

      random

      maps - in one mode, a chest is created for each treasure.  In the other mode,

      it

      places only a few treasure chests, but fills them with a whole bunch of

      treasures.  This is why at deep levels, you sometimes see the maps covered

      with

      chests, and other times, just a few chests with tons of stuff in them)

This changes (for the negative in my opinion) the other dynamic at work, the
acquisition of truly rare items.  Since this is basically a lottery at really
really long odds, these random levels are a significant potential source of
rare items.  If you kill the volume, you dramatically lower the chance at a
rare item.

If we're reducing clutter, I'd argue we should increase the value of
individual-item yield for super-high level treasures.