[crossfire] treasure chests & wealth

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jul 10 00:27:53 CDT 2005

Vernon T Rhyne wrote:

      This changes (for the negative in my opinion) the other dynamic at work, the

      acquisition of truly rare items.  Since this is basically a lottery at really

      really long odds, these random levels are a significant potential source of

      rare items.  If you kill the volume, you dramatically lower the chance at a

      rare item.

      If we're reducing clutter, I'd argue we should increase the value of

      individual-item yield for super-high level treasures.

  but by that arguement, we should then increase the number of treasures, so it
is more likely items show up.  But I doubt many people would think that is a
really good idea.

  Now what could perhaps be done is increase the likelihood of artifact items
show up slightly based on difficulty of the dungeon.  Right now, I recall the
likelihood of artifacts (ring of miracles type of thing) is somewhat constant
based on difficulty - or at least, the chance of a ring becoming a 'special'
ring is constant - some items do require minimum map difficulty levels.