[crossfire] treasure chests & wealth

Andreas Kirschbaum kirschbaum at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 14 17:34:37 CDT 2005

Mark Wedel wrote:

      The discussion of too much wealth in crossfire often comes up.

Is this still a problem? After all, two exploits were fixed recently:
broken money converters and shadow alchemy. (And I've noticed quite a
few players on metalforge that did exploit these "features".)

      Now I'm not sure how much of the excessive wealth comes from random

      maps, so this may not be a really big deal....

To create a few numbers, I did a small survey about how much money
(platinum coins) you can get by clearing maps and selling all items:

                           real    sell comment
alchemy (per hour)      1104000 1104000
undead tc (20 levels)   1563928  877109
dragon tc (20 levels)   1346582  476840
humanoid tc (20 levels) 6124653  371262 80 Smasher=4.48million (real)
valriel (99 levels)     1292183  357715 all chests=7171 all gravestones=3091
gorokh (99 levels)      1367736  279865
snake pit/chaos lair     488366  189045 9999 diamonds from Wyrm=80000
warrior proofing tower   651862  178341
Mwizard                  387590   80944
dragon hangar             48754   20926

The column "real" contains the sum of the real values in platinum coins
of all items in all maps, the column "sell" uses the price adjustment
formula for sold items. As "items" I counted all items that can be
picked up, uncursed (if necessary), and sold. It includes all items in
the map, including items from monster inventories and treasure chests.

For the alchemy procedure I wrote a small script to summon ingredients,
then transform them into other items, then identify and sell the result.
Using that script has no practical limit on how long I could run it to
gain more than 1 million platinum per hour. (Note that I did not check
if there are formulae with a (much) higher gain -- I just used the
obvious formulae.)

Therefore, I'd say the possibility of making money by alchemy is
probably much worse than the money you could get by collecting items.