[crossfire] Re: AW: Re: AW: About "glue" code

Lalo Martins lalo at exoweb.net
Fri Jul 15 11:20:38 CDT 2005

Ok, I'm trying *really* hard to stay away from the flamewar, but if I
bit the bait, please someone scold me.

And so says Michael Toennies on 15/07/05 17:20...

      Flamewar??

      Sorry, we talk about facts here.

"Facts" from your point of view.  Pointing up the positive aspects
without weighting their value in the context is not what I call "facts",
it's "fanboying" at the best case, "FUD" in the worst.

      And again: LUA is embedded 250% and more faster. Point.

Which is completely irrelevant for the kind of script Crossfire runs.
It could be 5000% slower and it still would not affect the speed in
which people play the game.  I'm much more often worrying about network
latency than about how long it takes to run a script.

It's much more important to be readable and easy to learn, and in this
aspect Python will beat Lua any day with half the standard library tied
behind its metaphorical back.

The Crossfire Python plugin has a really really badly designed API, that
may turn the scales too much against it.  But it's much easier to fix
that than to switch to a whole new language, regardless of its merits.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins

     http://www.exoweb.net/

                       mailto: