AW: [crossfire] Re: AW: Re: AW: About "glue" code

Michael Toennies michtoen at daimonin.net
Fri Jul 15 12:04:18 CDT 2005

Thank you very much for your competent statement.

Because you own so much knowledge, can you point out your
interesting comments a bit?

You said that python beat lua any days in term of readable & easy to
learn aspect. Can you give some examples please? I am just a bit curious
about it.

Perhaps i forgot the mention: The plugin interface between lua & python
was exactly the same as the way the runtime is called, beside it was
optimized.

Can you explain why a 5000% slower script interface would not effect
a crossfire server? Because bound for example to a weapon, a single
script can be called several times per tick. The current ticks per
second should be 8 (aka rounds per second). Our last test with
the lua plugin showed something around 15.000 to 25.000 scripts
per second possible depending on the system. For python it should
be significant lower.

You assume never more as 10-20 players on a crossfire server?

      Ok, I'm trying *really* hard to stay away from the flamewar,

      but if I bit the bait, please someone scold me.

      And so says Michael Toennies on 15/07/05 17:20...

      > Flamewar??

      > Sorry, we talk about facts here.

      "Facts" from your point of view.  Pointing up the positive

      aspects without weighting their value in the context is not

      what I call "facts", it's "fanboying" at the best case, "FUD"

      in the worst.

      > And again: LUA is embedded 250% and more faster. Point.

      Which is completely irrelevant for the kind of script Crossfire runs.

      It could be 5000% slower and it still would not affect the

      speed in which people play the game.  I'm much more often

      worrying about network latency than about how long it takes

      to run a script.

      It's much more important to be readable and easy to learn,

      and in this aspect Python will beat Lua any day with half the

      standard library tied behind its metaphorical back.

      The Crossfire Python plugin has a really really badly

      designed API, that may turn the scales too much against it.

      But it's much easier to fix that than to switch to a whole

      new language, regardless of its merits.

      best,

                                                     Lalo Martins

      http://www.exoweb.net/