[crossfire] Spellcasting Swords progress

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Thu Jun 2 02:18:14 CDT 2005

Mark Wedel wrote:

      Alex Schultz wrote:

      I remembered those, but it turns out it wasn't installing the new

      plugin_python.so for some reason. Anyways, that's fixed now (for no

      apparent reason, but oh well), however theres one issue I'm having

      when I try make some archtypes using them; In order to store the

      spell data, I need to insert a rod in the object's inventory. The

      first try I did of that was embedding it in the arch like one can do

      with maps, but that didn't work. Then I tried by making treasurelists

      for the rods, however they failed to keep spell data that I embedded

      in the treasurelist.

      I know that using treasurelists, and at the same time making custom

      rod arches for each of the spellswords would work, however I don't

      see that as being a very clean solution. Anybody have any better

      suggestions?

       Can you be a little clearer?  Are you trying to insert a rod into the

      sword, and a spell into the rod?

I'm trying to insert a rod into the sword, where the rod has a spell in
it (I've usually done that with the old style spell numbers in my tests
which the server seems to nicely convert). For example, I make the
following treasurelist which is in the "randomitems" of the sword arch:

    treasureone katanafire
      arch rod_light
      sp 82
      level 15
      hp 50
      maxhp 50
      no_drop 1
      no_pickup 1
      startequip 1
      chance 100
    end

       Which part of the object is being lost?  The spell into the rod?  How

      is the rod being created?

Everything about the rod is being lost except it's archtype and the
defaults of that (it loses the spell, spellpoints, no_drop etc.)

        Treasurelists are only created/processed for specific events.  If

      you just do something like 'arch_to_object(...)', it won't do anything

      with treasurelists - you need to call create_treasures to do that.

       In the case of some specific objects, this processing is done

      automatically. But if you're trying to put a sword on a map, I'm not

      sure if the full recursion is handled properly.   But I need a little

      clearer picture on this.

I tested it putting the sword on a map and that works except for the
above mentioned information loss. However when I tested it by using the
DM "create" command, the randomitems were not obeyed.

I assume this information loss is because the treasurelists don't accept
such data and only use the defaults of the arch, so one solution would
be creating an arch for each rod that I want to use on the swords,
however I feel that would be a bit kludgy, and I am wondering if anybody
has any better solutions.

       Alex Schultz