[crossfire] new metaserver

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jun 5 01:01:23 CDT 2005

tchize wrote:

      Le Jeudi 2 Juin 2005 09:20, Mark Wedel a écrit :

     1) Has someone agreed to run the metametaserver?  What about the slave

     metaservers?  While all this looks nice, if you don't have people willing

     to run it/take care of it, it is all pretty pointless.  For the

     metametaserver, I'm thinking more of the Tanner's, since they currently

     hold the main crossfire home page, but of course, the metametaserver could

     move someplace else (not as sure how many people have as stable and ip

     address and network connection that they do).

      That's were a static list on various website is usefull, easy to place

      (crossfire.sourceforge.net could be a place to hold the list)

  Yes, but a static list != metaserver.  That is a seperate issue.  Certainly,
having static lists isn't a bad backup plan, but isn't really the same thing.

     2) having the clients connect to the various servers to get stats like

     current number of active players is IMO an extra level of complication that

     can be done without.  If we have a dozen active servers (which was actually

     low if I recall), you probably don't want to do it sequentially - that

     means it coudl take a significant amount of time to go through them all.

     Especially if one is down or unresponsive.  this means you need to do it in

     parallel, and writing that threaded code is a bit more complicated.  Add to

     the fact that the client would then have to send some commands and parses

     the responses from the server. I just don't see any reason that dynamic

     info shouldn't be included.

      could be done in udp (send a packet to each server than wait 2 second for any

      response)

  udp is probably not a good option.  Most peoples private firewalls will
probably not work in that setup without changing the configuration (they'd need
to be modified to let the return udp packet through the firewall).  So from a
client perspective, we really want to just stick to tcp.