[crossfire] new metaserver

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 11:43:02 CDT 2005

I could run the meta-metaserver if you wanted...

--- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

      tchize wrote:

      > Le Jeudi 2 Juin 2005 09:20, Mark Wedel a écrit :

      >>1) Has someone agreed to run the metametaserver?

      What about the slave

      >>metaservers?  While all this looks nice, if you

      don't have people willing

      >>to run it/take care of it, it is all pretty

      pointless.  For the

      >>metametaserver, I'm thinking more of the Tanner's,

      since they currently

      >>hold the main crossfire home page, but of course,

      the metametaserver could

      >>move someplace else (not as sure how many people

      have as stable and ip

      >>address and network connection that they do).

      > That's were a static list on various website is

      usefull, easy to place

      > (crossfire.sourceforge.net could be a place to

      hold the list)

        Yes, but a static list != metaserver.  That is a

      seperate issue.  Certainly,

      having static lists isn't a bad backup plan, but

      isn't really the same thing.

      >>2) having the clients connect to the various

      servers to get stats like

      >>current number of active players is IMO an extra

      level of complication that

      >>can be done without.  If we have a dozen active

      servers (which was actually

      >>low if I recall), you probably don't want to do it

      sequentially - that

      >>means it coudl take a significant amount of time

      to go through them all.

      >>Especially if one is down or unresponsive.  this

      means you need to do it in

      >>parallel, and writing that threaded code is a bit

      more complicated.  Add to

      >>the fact that the client would then have to send

      some commands and parses

      >>the responses from the server. I just don't see

      any reason that dynamic

      >>info shouldn't be included.

      > could be done in udp (send a packet to each server

      than wait 2 second for any

      > response)

        udp is probably not a good option.  Most peoples

      private firewalls will

      probably not work in that setup without changing the

      configuration (they'd need

      to be modified to let the return udp packet through

      the firewall).  So from a

      client perspective, we really want to just stick to

      tcp.

      crossfire at metalforge.org