[crossfire] Why does no one commit MLAB? Do you reject my maps? Is it personal?!

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Mar 3 02:31:18 CST 2005

  What Todd said is somewhat true - easy to deal with small pieces than big.
Probably gets compounded that if I'm looking at a patch that takes say half an
hour to verify/apply, odds pretty low that no one else will being do so in that
same time frame and thus no likelihood of duplicated effort/loss of work.

  If something takes several hours, or perhaps enough time that the actual
examination and commit will be spread accross several days, odds are higher.  So
then everyone sort of waits and is looking for someone else to do it, and it
falls through the cracks.  I'll try to find time to do it, but hard to promise
anything.  It's probably a wise idea to open a patch one sourceforge for this,
as a person can take responsibility to avoid issue of conflicts I mention above.
  You probably can't update the patch to sourceforge, but can still provide
pointers - that provides better tracking than e-mail messages (generally
speaking, I get enough e-mails that crossfire e-mail falls into basically these
3 categories:

1) RFC - person asking question - will generally respond to those, if not, delete.
2) message from sourceforge about bug submission, patch, etc: delete - will look
at sourceforge when I have time for further info.
3) report of bug or patch submission through mailing list, not on sourceforge:
Generally delete, on the theory/hope someone else may take care of it and I
don't want it clogging my e-mail box (and they should have submitted it on
sourceforge anyways).  If the issue seems trivial to answer/fix, I may take care
of it, but if I have to spend appreciable time, probably deleted.

  All that said, personality and likability do make some difference.  I think it
is safe to say that it is human nature that people are more likely to help out
those people they like, and less likely (or unlikely) to help out those they
don't like.  Probably even more so given crossfire is 100% volunteer (at work,
you may work with people you don't like on the basis it keeps you employed.  For
a volunteer project, one can just ignore whatever they like).  So your views and
initial reluctance to change the layout may have made it so that some people
capable of doing the commit just have zero interest in doing it for you, which
then reduces the number of people willing/able to do so.