[crossfire] Why does no one commit MLAB? Do you reject my maps? Is it personal?!

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 21:18:45 CST 2005

Salathar has been off the chart for a bit.
I made a new release with the dir structure cleaned up
abit (the maps are still in the one dir but the other
stuff is in their own dirs).

     https://cat2.dynu.ca/cat2/crossfiremaps-mlab-R16.tar.gz

all the arches that are in mlab are in

     https://cat2.dynu.ca/crossfirearch

(Sans navarian, I didnt use any in mlab, so the proper
name change dosn't affect it :) )

--- Todd Mitchell <

     temitchell at sympatico.ca

     > wrote:

      Basically it's easier to deal with smaller things

      than great big things.

      To commit maps to CVS they have to be tested, any

      arches they use have

      to be in the arch CVS and tested before that, and

      any maps they touch on

      have to be checked as well (within reason).  Also if

      there are scritps

      or widgets or other things that need to be used to

      generate or massage

      the sources - well we have to take time to deal with

      that stuff before

      we can even start.

      Add this to the amount of time we can spend on

      crossfire (many folks

      have spouses, jobs, kids, other projects and down

      time) and you can

      easily see why a small change like the Navar maps

      can be done (that

      small change still took a few hours out of a busy

      Sunday) while

      something like the mlab maps is just off the scale.

      Other developers

      were taking on the chore of this mapset so I have

      not even looked at it

      for some time.

      If I commit something I have to take responsibility

      for it and if I

      screw up and Metalforge is in chaos or down because

      of something I did

      and I don't want to have to go without sleep on a

      work night to fix it.

      So this is why we have:

      "bronze items, ores, bars, [and] even the new

      mid-east style arches"

      They were managable pieces.

      Lots of things I have been waiting for for a long

      time.  I have projects

      on the go as well (smuggler quest has been a looong

      time in the making)

      I keep picking away at what I can commit and keep

      the works in progress

      in progress.  The thing is you either wait or you do

      it yourself.  If

      you don't have CVS access (and likely even if you

      do) you have to make

      your submissions as easy as possible to test and

      submit them.  If you

      have a bug fix request you make it as easy as

      possible for someone to

      locate and fix it, an enhancement request, as easy

      as possible for

      someone to implement it, if you have new graphics

      you make them as easy

      as possible for people to get and test...

      You get the picture. Besides I thought Salathar or

      Ryo were working on

      the maps.

      crossfire at metalforge.org