[crossfire] MWedel could you make weather smooth

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 09:46:31 CST 2005

Ah.. well this has been a (visual) problem for about
... well atleast a year. I think it would be good to
set 255 smoothing on all that don't have anything set
also :)

basically snow weather dosn't smooth at all, nor does
some of the other tiles weather puts down... makes
things ugly and thus players don't want to play with
glorious weather turned on.

--- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

      Mitch Obrian wrote:

      > Currently the clients don't smooth tiles dropped

      by

      > weather code (snow and all that stuff) because the

      > client dosn't smooth anything thats not set

      floor=1 I

      > guess... now since only things that are ment to be

      > smoothed have smoothing set at all .... could you

      let

      > things that arent floor=1 smooth so weather stuff

      will

      > smooth?

        I did not write the smooth logic - might be better

      of to talk to tchize since

      he wrote that code.

        Taking a brief look at the code in question, these

      are my observations:

      1) the server doesn't care what layer the objects

      are that have smoothing, and

      doesn't care if it is a floor or not, so is sending

      the right data to the client.

      2) The client is getting all the right data -

      however, this line (from the sdl.c

      file, drawsmooth_sdl()) is probably the culprit:

           if ( (the_map.cells[mx][my].heads[0].face==0)

      !CAN_SMOOTH(the_map.cells[mx][my].smooth[layer]) )

               return;

        This basically means that objects will only smooth

      if the objects they are

      smoothing onto are also smooth capable.  So at

      minimum, the weather effect

      objects need to have a smoothlevel set (I haven't

      checked if they do that).  If

      this is done for all the weather objects, I think it

      should work OK.

        The problem you still will get is that spaces that

      have weather won't tile

      onto those spaces that don't.  That is because the

      weather tile will be at layer

      1, while on the other square, might be nothing at

      level 1 (face==0), or some

      other ojbect that is not smoothable.

        Presumably that is done because if you say have a

      space with a house on it,

      you don't want the smooth effect to go on top of the

      building, so instead, safer

      to not smooth.  Perhaps making the default smooth

      values for objects that don't

      have it set to 255 would work, thus, these objects

      would always be on top, but

      not 100% sure if that would in fact work.

      crossfire at metalforge.org