[crossfire] Create food / alchemy abuse?

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Fri May 27 10:28:14 CDT 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

     I'd say the best way would be to forbid making alchemy items with items created by create food. But then we need to track that. Could we simply change the item's name? Like 'created mandrake root'? This way item has all properties set, but can't be used by alchemy (which uses name). Will also make sure the value of 0 is known.

     Or we could simply check the item's value, too - set to 0 by create food.

     As I see it, one problem with alchemy is that many items are too hard to
get without using either create food if they aren't items that have
converter squares in alchemy shops. I don't think that there should be
any recipes that could be created by using *only* create food spell, but
I find that most recipes are already plenty hard enough to get the
ingredients for even with create food. For example, the fact that both
sage's heads and unicorn horns are rather commonly used alchemy items
and are so rare makes those recipes to do in batches larger then one or
two. I personally feel that many alchemy items are already too rare, and
making more difficult to get in decent amounts would make alchemy with
all but the basic items with converters in shops near impossible to do
much useful things with.

Some people (I know of one MF player who's rather well known for this
but isn't on much lately) do 'hire' others to quest for such parts, but
I find that it can be so difficult to find people to do that that you
might as well spend hours and hours to get just enough to gain just 1 or
2 alchemy levels.

To summarize my ranting, I think that alchemy parts are overall more
than rare enough already and this is a step in the wrong direction
*however* alchemy shouldn't be possible to do purely with created items.

       Alex Schultz (aka Rednaxela)