[crossfire] Proposal to fix experience inflation due to random maps

Lalo Martins lalo at laranja.org
Sat May 28 20:07:25 CDT 2005

DISCLAIMER: when it comes to building levels, I'm just a n00b; I'm writing
this based on what I've read while studying how to do it.

I thing the *right* solution to this is to have more high-level maps (and
possibly update the old ones, which fell behind changes in the rules).

No monster *in the archetypes file* gives you enough experience.  That's
about right; if a monster is common enough to be there, it's not worth
much.

Now high-level maps are supposed to have *custom* monsters, like the
nazgul in the pupland power station or the demilich in Old Scorn.  These
should be seriously harder to kill, and therefore worth many more points.

This can also be done in large numbers; see the Dragon Hatchery.

With the evolution of rules, all monsters in medium-high or high level
maps became too easy to kill, and also not worth enough.  Nazgul and the
demilich and the ancient dragons and dragonmen in the hatchery are only
incrementally harder and more xpworth than the normal ones (from the POV
of high-levelers) since they are in medium-low level maps; in the
high-level maps you should have monsters proportionally more customized.

IMHO AFAICS FWIW YMMV KSC etc...

<quote who="Alex Schultz">

      Andrew Fuchs wrote:

     I think a better solution would be making the non random maps give

     more experience.  Thus they become a better option than to use the

     training centers.

      I agree; that sort of thing is one type of thing I've been thinking of

      when making this one map that I started working on recently. For high

      leveled people, large numbers of random levels are the only ways to get

      half decent experience currently, as in, many non-random maps should

      give more experience than they do. One of the problems is that for the

      very high level people, no monster gives enough experience, so killing

      monsters en mass in random maps is the only option if they want to gain

      any real levels, this is also true a medium levels to a lesser degree,

      though the current situation is well balanced for lower leveled people.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins

     http://www.laranja.org/

                     mailto: