[crossfire] Buildable savebeds

Lalo Martins lalo at laranja.org
Sun May 29 10:56:02 CDT 2005

<quote who="Anton Oussik">

      Upon joining a guild or buying an old-style apartment/castle the

      players will get a permanent apartment anyhow though, and that may

      make this player class an attractive guild class. This certainly

      requires more thought.

This is supposed to only happen at a relatively high level. So I think if
we're modeling gipsies and traveling merchants (for example), it's not
uncommon that they join a guild after some experience.  By that point,
we'll have to trust that the player has come to *enjoy* the wilderness
life enough to prefer it rather than reverting to a "normal" guild player.

*Or* we can be extra-evil and forbid them guilds too.  (But I see no
practical way to forbid castles.  Maybe that's ok.)  Then we would see
bands of these players forming "caravans" or "camps" for protection.  Hmm.

What I worry more is - how are they "attacked" in their "sleep"?  Just
logging in to find "sorry, your character is dead" is VERY uncool.  Maybe
the attack happens *when* you log in (on the excuse that "you wake up to
strange sounds.  Oh no!  Your tent is being attacked by wild creatures!")

Or better, the presence of an occupied tent will "attract" these random
monsters, which will stick around until someone wakes up.  (From the
strictly technical point of view, with map loading and unloading, that's
not exactly what happens, but you get my point.)  So this is a way in
which a "caravan" would make people more safe; bigger chance that someone
else will take care of the monster before you "wake up"  ;-)

best,
                                               Lalo Martins

     http://www.laranja.org/

                     mailto: