[crossfire] Buildable savebeds

Anton Oussik antonoussik at gmail.com
Sun May 29 11:30:47 CDT 2005

On 5/29/05, Lalo Martins <

     lalo at laranja.org

     > wrote:

      <quote who="Anton Oussik">

      > Upon joining a guild or buying an old-style apartment/castle the

      > players will get a permanent apartment anyhow though, and that may

      > make this player class an attractive guild class. This certainly

      > requires more thought.

      This is supposed to only happen at a relatively high level. So I think if

      we're modeling gipsies and traveling merchants (for example), it's not

      uncommon that they join a guild after some experience.  By that point,

      we'll have to trust that the player has come to *enjoy* the wilderness

      life enough to prefer it rather than reverting to a "normal" guild player.

In that case I guess it may be OK to allow them into guilds, although
strictly speaking it may be easier to disallow them to sleep on beds
of reality. That would require them to be outside in the wilderness to
save, unable to get to sleep on a bed.

      What I worry more is - how are they "attacked" in their "sleep"?  Just

      logging in to find "sorry, your character is dead" is VERY uncool.  Maybe

      the attack happens *when* you log in (on the excuse that "you wake up to

      strange sounds.  Oh no!  Your tent is being attacked by wild creatures!")

Coding-wise this wya seems best.

      Or better, the presence of an occupied tent will "attract" these random

      monsters, which will stick around until someone wakes up.  (From the

      strictly technical point of view, with map loading and unloading, that's

      not exactly what happens, but you get my point.)  So this is a way in

      which a "caravan" would make people more safe; bigger chance that someone

      else will take care of the monster before you "wake up"  ;-)

I'm not sure how this can be done. Perhaps it could be left out to
start with, and then tied into a more general "wild animals" patch
(there was talk earlier of making realistic wildlife by adding more
animals and have them breed, eat, and hunt each other. Therefore
depending on the climate different plants would grow, thereofre
different animals would be able to survive eating those plants,
therefore different predators would be able to survive eating them.
Therefore we could end up with wild penguins and polar bears at the
poles, and wild camels in the desert. Since a real simulation would be
too resource-consuming the game would have to approximate and seed the
map with the correct number of animals at map load. Perhaps presence
of a tent to reality on the map should have a chance of increasing the
number of man-eating monsters).