[crossfire] New movement code.

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 08:42:29 CDT 2005

Sounds good, should be easy enough to set the proper
permissions on the ground arches (2 hrs with nedit, 2
min with regex).

--- Mark Wedel <
     mwedel at sonic.net
     > wrote:

        So I finished up the new movement code and did

      some basic testing, and it

      seems to work.

        In basic terms, now multiple move types (walking,

      fly_low, fly_high,

      swimming).  Spaces can block some or all of those.

        For compatibility, no_pass 1 blocks all of those.

        My basic test shows this work.  One issue:

        Movement blockage has to be explicitly set.  In

      other words, unless something

      on the space explicity says you can't use movement

      type X, you can use it.

        This matches previous behaviour, and for the most

      part, works fine.

        The issue here is swimming.  As things sound now,

      you can't swim in the ocean

      or rivers, because they have no_pass 1.  However,

      since pretty much all outdoor

      spaces don't set anything, it means you can 'swim'

      through the desert.

        right now, this doesn't have any relevant meaning

      - there is no way to get

      swimming movement type.  One issue if you could is

      that slow_move (old field)

      only slows down walking, not flying or swimming.

        It seems to me the proper way to fix this is to

      set all ground objects to have

      move_block 8, so you can't swim through desert,

      forests, etc.

        Any other thoughts?  Notes?  Questions?

        Also, feel free to try this out on my server:

      tavern.santa-clara.ca.us

        Do note this server is really only up for this

      testing.  I put a building next

      to the inn in scorn that has some test cases.

      crossfire at metalforge.org