[crossfire] fatigue

Anton Oussik antonoussik at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 13:43:15 CDT 2005

On 9/1/05, Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

      tchize wrote:

      >> You get fatigue by doing strenous things (swimming, flying via skill,

      >>attacking, moving a lot).

      > Or just being awake ? or it will not be fatigue but stamina :)

      Idea was more physical fatigue not mental. I personally don't want to have

      rest my character if I'm still wanting to play.

I like the idea of fatigue, but in CF days are so short that battles often
last for weeks, and players can happily survive on 2-3 meals a week. If
fatigue is introduced in the same way, that you only need to sleep
(use_skill rest) once in a while it would be acceptable.

      >> You lose fatigue by resting - this can basically be measured by the

      >>character having an action and not actually doing anything. Certain

      magic

      >>potions could also reduce fatigue.

But should be temporary improvement followed by getting very fatigued after
that. Overdosing should eventually make you so fatigued you die. Also
fatigue effects should be incremental with time. So when fully fresh you
start at full stats. Then, after about 30 minutes of play you lose a stat,
after another 15 minutes another stat, then after 8, 4, 2, and then 1 for
every other minute of play. When all stats get to 1 you should start losing
hp, until you die from fatigue or use_skill rest. Resting on a bed should
speed up recovery (or perhaps change how much you can recover, so sleeping
on the ground will not get you very good rest?)

      apply bed to reality?

      could be, but you'd have to record how long it was saved for (if I save

      and

      reload immediately, shouldn't be any advantage).

IMO bed of reality should not change in functionality.

That said, if the character is doing nothing - just standing there, I'd

      expect

      fatigue should drop pretty darn faster - it should drop faster than you

      get HP

      back for example.

Staying awake is an effort. If you don't believe me try doing it for a week.

So basically, fatigue would really come in to play if your doing continuous

      work, eg, combat all the time, flying around the world as dragon, etc. But

      once

      you stop doing those things, you'd get back to 0 fatigue relatively

      quickly.

Although it seems what is being discusses here is physical tirednes like
from running or lifting weights and so on, which is a different tirednes
than that from staying awake. Perhaps they could be combined together so

total_fatigue = waking_fatigue + active_fatigue

      If not carrying much, you wouldn't get much fatigue - thus, a lightly

      >>equipped person could run around all day and not have to rest much.

      > Race dependent?

      One could certainly add more variation - different races weighing

      different

      amount, different carrying capacities, etc. But one issue is that armor is

      one

      size fit all - a halfling should rightfully have smaller and lighter armor

      than

      a human.

Race and class items deserver their own thread, and IMO a very good idea if
someone has the time to create new archetypes and add race/class
restrictions to items.

 Other thoughts:

      One could give chairs and non savebeds some meaning - sit in one of those,

      fatigue goes down faster.

This goes back to my use_skill rest idea

In some states, even when idle, you can't get back fatigue. EG, if you're

      swimming or flying, you can't be resting - if you just staying in one

      place,

      maybe you fatigue just doesn't go up quite as fast.

A good observation. If anything flying and swimming should increase fatigue
unless you are a firebourne and are flying (or a lizard person and
swimming?) and you should only be able to use skill rest when on the ground.