[crossfire] mapguide/director question

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Thu Sep 15 01:01:12 CDT 2005

Rick Tanner wrote:

      Alex Schultz wrote:

         /12) Do not put directors with bullet, lightning, fireball, etc. that

         are a loop or continuous.  Example:  Do not have two directors, each

         facing each other, with a bullet wall firing into them at the side.

         /

      Why is this a problem? I saw what was written below it, but don't

      bullets and fireballs and such explode after traveling for a bit?

      Nope, they travel between the directors until they hit something

      substantial such as another player, monster, summoned pet, etc.

Actually, I'm afraid you're mistaken... I just tested on my private test
server. They do disappear/explode after moving a bit without hitting
anything (i.e. when director bouncing). A small fireball exploded about
~5 seconds of bouncing, and small bullet disappeared after about the
same amount of time.
I don't see how it could be that bad either: I'm testing firing missile
swarm (about the most projectile intensive spell there is), into a tight
3 director loop, and my server barely gets up to 2% cpu usage.  Large
fireball fired as rapidly as can be by a signal player's natural casting
can't push it over 1.3% cpu, and even with all this, the idle cpu usage
is 1%. Really, unless lots of monsters are casting, or if it's meteor
swarm with it's massive amount of fire, I don't see how this could be a
problem.

Alex Schultz