[crossfire] Buildable Land Plots

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 02:49:03 CDT 2005

# -When a map maker builds over a land plot entrance,
#what happens to
#the land plot?

Land plot is deleted? (It's a tough world out there :)
)

--- Alex Schultz <

     alex_sch at telus.net

     > wrote:

      Hi,

      For a while I've been hearing on and off about

      people thinking about

      making buildable land plots in bigworld. I'm not

      sure who to credit for

      the origional idea, but I've taken some time to plan

      out one possible

      way of doing it. Here's the steps to buildable land

      plots according what

      I've been thinking would work well. In this plan, I

      try to keep every

      feature that could potentially be useful outside of

      the bigworld land

      plots in the server code as opposed to python just

      to make it flexable

      for map makers to use such features in the future

      for other things. So

      here's what I've been thinking would be a good way

      to impliment

      buildable land plots adding feature by feature.

      -Add 'global unique' maps:

          -permenantly stored like unique, only it's

      stored in a different

      location and is shared between all players

          -existing permenant maps (i.e. guild) like maps

      shouldn't be used

      because these need are generated while running like

      unique or random

      maps, so near the unique maps in their own place

      makes sence.

      -Random map changes:

          -Allow random map generator to make unique maps

      (is this already

      possible?)

          -Allow random map generator to make 'gobal

      unique' maps

          -Create 'open space' map style, which generates

      no walls except for

      the outer border.

      -Building changes:

          -Allow maps to specify in their header that

      building is restricted

              -'Building passes' allow building in these

      areas (can be made as

      an invisible force, or as a card type object, to be

      flexible)

      -Fix overlays:

          -Fix conflicts with weather

          -Fix other misc bugs

      -Write python glue code for details of land plots

      that can't be used as

      features elsewhere:

          -Python for making the map entrance, and the

      building passes

      -Make random map styles

      ISSUES:

          -Where should land plots be buildable?

          -When a map maker builds over a land plot

      entrance, what happens to

      the land plot?

          -What (if anything) should be done about the

      potential issue of

      players trapping eachother in buildable areas.

      Supporting (not needed or important, but would

      enhance the experience of

      buildable land plots) details:

          -Buildable savebeds

          -Buildable lock/key pairs

          -Buildable shops

          -Buildable teleporters

          -Buildable crafting stations (?)

          -New buildable things (i.e. new walls, grass,

      etc.)

      Comments? Suggestions? Any help working on any parts

      of this would be great.

      Thanks,

              Alex Schultz

      crossfire at metalforge.org