[crossfire] Buildable Land Plots

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Mon Sep 26 08:04:19 CDT 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

     The idea of popping up shops is great, and i'd add things like

     roads, post office, and such, too! :)

     That said, the issue i can see is about permission in

     directories: if game modifies/adds itself the maps, then comes

     the issue of physically writing the file, thus requiring write

     access to maps subdirectory. Maybe that's not a real issue,

     but still, need to think about that.

     Or find a way to specify those maps are stored in var

     subdirectory or something like that.

     Hence my plan for "global unique" maps in my original post, which would be better named "template maps". They would be stored in a var subdirectory, and the template maps could either be based off a map in the normal map tree, or based upon the one time output of the random map generator. Also I have been thinking of a way to possible extend tiling so it can refer to such maps outside of the normal map tree. and then via this, have adjunct land plots tiled together.

     As for building itself, i'd say players buy blueprints of what

     they want, and it gets build. Then we could have rare

     blueprints you can only find by doing quests, and such.

     Ryo

     IMO, It might be nicer if it's just the raw land and the player makes
the building manually. At the time of my original post making use of the
random map generator as well to make landscape details, and choosing
from several styles depending on what tile one tried to build the plot
on. That said, blueprints might be nice too because they would save
players who don't want to create the building from scratch some time.
Personally I think it would be good if there was both the option to use
a blueprint, or to just build the building from scratch. Also, because
some sort of building permissions system would need to be implemented,
players could make a 'magic ear' type password system with the talking
books I recently implemented into building. Also, due to the inverted
gate that I added, it's also possible for creative players to make a
"boulder based" lock for their buildings. Encouraging these sorts of
creative things is partially why I would like to at least have the
option of open-ended blank plots.

I indeed to start working on the "template maps" some time soon, however
due to schoolwork and such it could be a while before I get that done.

Alex Schultz