[crossfire] Improved post office idea

Andrew Fuchs fuchs.andy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 11:49:21 CDT 2005

On 9/26/05, Nicolas Weeger <

     nicolas.weeger at laposte.net

     > wrote:

      When we'll have the new plugin system (*ponders sending in a

      search party for gros*), I'll extend the post office to send

      items to other players.

Was rednaxela doing something related to this (swig bindings)?

      I think it's not that hard actually:

      * sending player drops items on a some specific altar/square

I think a box would be the easiest, to impose weight limits.

      * items get teleported to a unique square in a global

      (unlinked probably?) map

A unique map could get messy.  I think it is cleaner just to use the
functions provided by the python plugin to store the items in a
seperate file.

      If many items are sent this way, then maybe the check on

      whether a player has or not items in the unique map could be

      skipped, and simply a message sent when items are sent.

      (because each time a player connects you need to open the

      storage map, check items for one having the right custom_name).

Again, using a file would probaly be cleaner imo.

      Also, there could be fun things to do with that:

      * pay item-price/10 + item-weight/10 for standard send, but,

      alas, probability to lose the item is ~10%

      * pay item-price, item is either sent or you get item-price *

      5 indemnity (~1% chance)

      * delivery takes time

Just have items randomly "get lost" for a period of time, but allow a
decent amount of cash to be dumped on "first class" delivery of some
sort.

      * receiving player pays some fees based on distance between

      the 2 post offices (hard to compute distance, though)

Hmm, courrupt post offices in some areas, maby.

--
Andrew Fuchs