[crossfire] Improved post office idea

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 12:19:39 CDT 2005

Why wait for gros? The new python is supposed to be
compatable with the old stuff IIRC.

--- Andrew Fuchs <

     fuchs.andy at gmail.com

     > wrote:

      On 9/26/05, Nicolas Weeger

      <

      nicolas.weeger at laposte.net

      > wrote:

      > When we'll have the new plugin system (*ponders

      sending in a

      > search party for gros*), I'll extend the post

      office to send

      > items to other players.

      Was rednaxela doing something related to this (swig

      bindings)?

      > I think it's not that hard actually:

      > * sending player drops items on a some specific

      altar/square

      I think a box would be the easiest, to impose weight

      limits.

      > * items get teleported to a unique square in a

      global

      > (unlinked probably?) map

      A unique map could get messy.  I think it is cleaner

      just to use the

      functions provided by the python plugin to store the

      items in a

      seperate file.

      > If many items are sent this way, then maybe the

      check on

      > whether a player has or not items in the unique

      map could be

      > skipped, and simply a message sent when items are

      sent.

      > (because each time a player connects you need to

      open the

      > storage map, check items for one having the right

      custom_name).

      Again, using a file would probaly be cleaner imo.

      > Also, there could be fun things to do with that:

      > * pay item-price/10 + item-weight/10 for standard

      send, but,

      > alas, probability to lose the item is ~10%

      > * pay item-price, item is either sent or you get

      item-price *

      > 5 indemnity (~1% chance)

      > * delivery takes time

      Just have items randomly "get lost" for a period of

      time, but allow a

      decent amount of cash to be dumped on "first class"

      delivery of some

      sort.

      > * receiving player pays some fees based on

      distance between

      > the 2 post offices (hard to compute distance,

      though)

      Hmm, courrupt post offices in some areas, maby.

      --

      Andrew Fuchs

      crossfire at metalforge.org