[crossfire] Random encounters

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Apr 1 20:29:10 CST 2006

Robin Redeker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is that right what i just read: The random encounters where took out of
> the code around 2001?
> Why was it removed? Is it possbile to reimplement it?

  The implementation that was there was IMO more a pain than worthwhile.

  Basically, with some probability, groups of 3 spaces of the same terrain time
would become a special random map, with some creatures on it.

  The fact those 3 spaces were an encounter map were not visible.  So you'd be
walking through the forest, and poof, your suddenly on this encounter map that
you now need to walk for 40 spaces (killing any creatues on it) to get back to
the world map.

  The encounter maps would only happen if there was the same terrain type in the
3x3 area.  So you'd get lots of cases where you wouldn't get them either because
of mixed terrain.

  The encounter type was based on the given terrain, so at level 5 or so, the
monsters you'd encounter on grass spaces just started to become a pain and not
any real challenge.

  I think in the end, pretty much every server disabled the encounter maps
because they were so annoying, so there was little point to keep them around.

  That encounter code in no way is close to the other ideas mentioned of terrain
periodically generating monsters, but these remain on the world map, and not
special encounter maps.