[crossfire] Spell path balance - Summoning

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Aug 20 22:33:36 CDT 2006

Lalo Martins wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:05:55 -0500, Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
>> completely unbalanced as it takes eons of mind-bendingly boring
>> snooze, summon, attack, snooze until summoned character is dead
>> cycles.  Am I just missing the point of this path, or is it really
>> not very well balanced?
>
> Generally, I think summoning needs high-level spells that summon
> strong critters, rather than just relying on pets becoming stronger and
> stronger with level.

  the question then is how you get high level creatures.

  One thing that may help summoners is to just speed up the movement speed of
summoned creatures.  One reason why I think it takes eons is most monsters move
very slow (at least compared to players), so it takes a monster quite a while to
move to position and bash a creature.

  If summoned monsters had a speed of 1.0, with no other changes, at least they
would move, attack, and kill quickly.  They may die quickly themselves, but at
least you could then summon another one and move on.