[crossfire] About a feature request

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Aug 21 23:08:12 CDT 2006

  Just a note/thought:

the reasoning for cursed spellbooks harming lowlevel players more is probably
true for cursed objects in general.

  I doubt a mid/high level character is ever really hurt with cursed objects -
they will detect curse/identify the objects.  And even if they did apply one,
easy enough for them to get a remove curse spell.

  But this then almost leads to the question - should cursed objects just in
general be removed then?  I think it adds something to the game, so I'd probably
say it shouldn't be, but then by that same logic, it should get extended to more
objects.

  One thought would be a setting for this - right now, some fixed percentage of
objects are made as cursed objects.  Instead of having that be hard coded, make
it a settable parameters.

  Servers that want to be easy on players could set that to 0, so cursed objects
never show up (except on maps designed for it).

  Servers that want things really difficult could set it higher.

  Some servers could set it to a very low non zero number (1%?  .1%?)  I think
that setting is more interesting - cursed objects in general would be so rare
you might not check for them, and thus get hit by them once in a while.

  Other random thoughts:
  If you are not sufficient level to learn a spell from a spellbook, it does not
identify it for you - thus, you have no clue what it is.

  In order to be affected by a cursed spellbook, you must be sufficient level to
learn the spell - a low level mage can't be hit by a cursed 20th level spellbook.

  If loss of spell is done, then the spell that is lost has to be less than
equal to the level of the cursed spellbook (you can't lose a level 5 spell on a
cursed level 1 spellbook).  Or if you want to be more kind, it only removes the
spell it is a cursed version of (a cursed burning hands would only remove a
burning hands spell if you know it - if you don't, maybe confuses you for a
while or some other effect).  If the percentage of spellbooks that are cursed
are low enough, this may not be a big deal - odds being that if you found a
cursed spellbook of some spell, you probably found 10 uncursed versions, so even
if you lose the spell, not the end of the world.