[crossfire] crossfire source code control systems

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Aug 24 23:40:03 CDT 2006

  My personal thought is to open the vote to everyone, but also require that
each person include a line on what type of user/developer they are, something
along the lines of frequent committer, infrequent committer, read only access
(play the game, use the SCS to keep up to date), and not currently a developer.

  While we want to be inclusive, I do think they may be some differences in
voting - in particular, taking all the votes is good, but if the results from
the frequent committers is much different than the rest, that needs to be taken
into consideration.

  As someone said, this is because the more active developers are more likely to
be aware of the different systems, and the shortcomings, etc.

  I know that if I wasn't a developer, I'd vote for CVS.  Why?  Because it is
working fine for me, and I wouldn't see any real advantages of any other system
(having local pristine data like SVN doesn't buy me anything if I never modify
my source).

  I'll admit that for myself, I wasn't that aware of what the different systems
offered until this discussion came up, and at which time I read the manual for
some of these different systems.  Before that, I really wouldn't have had enough
info to make a useful decision.  Not to say that all infrequent developers are
in that situation (some may be familiar with other systems just based on being
part of other projects etc).  But it is really the developers that are going to
see the many issues related to the system.

  I also think that a private ballot (e-mail) method may be best.  Simply as
some way to sort of people trying to adjust the votes based on results they
currently see.  May not be an issue, but it will also avoid a bunch of e-mails
to the mailing list.

  I think a 2 week voting period is more than long enough.  Yes, a few people
may be on vacation and unable to vote, but I'd say that is probably going to be
a relatively insignificant amount of total voters.  It seems doubtful that it
will swing the election one way or another.  In addition, this has been bouncing
around for quite a while already, and until a decision on this is made, it
doesn't make sense to make the major/stable branches, which also means work in
the major new features have to happen in local copies, etc.

  If the election is very close, I may use my executive powers to make the
decision anyways (system A is easier to set up, or of the more mainstream
developers, this system was the winner, etc).

  I'll probably sending out the voting form in the near future.