[crossfire] Re: Lalo's Bigworld pupland :D

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 05:15:42 CST 2006

And so says Miguel Ghobangieno on 06/01/06 13:25...
> Pupland won't fit on the worldmap, which, IMHO, is fine as I've
> always thought of it as another contenent.

It is in another continent, and it is in the worldmap.  There is a
reason why the worldmap starts at 100_100 :-) if you read the info in
maps/Info, you'll see mwedel's idea of how big the world could
potentially be.

Right now, my Pupland is in tiles world_075_023 to world_104_032, so,
northwest of the Scorn continent.  (In the previous thread we had about
geography, I think we agreed that the Scorn continent is in the southern
hemisphere, so this one is in the north.)

So there is weather, but, hmm, :-)

I put it on northwest because I thought the "poles" were on NE and SW,
so this wouldn't affect the weather on the other continent too bad.  But
it turns out, seemingly, the "poles" are on NW and SE instead, which
puts Lone Town pretty near one of them.  This is not what I intended.

I could move it to the NE, but then that would break the antarctic.

So I see two options:

1. leave it where I put it; this will make things in the NW of the
existing continent warmer than they are now, and things in the SE colder
- notably Navar.  Lone Town will be a very cold place.  Well, that may
explain why it's so Lone :-P

I'm running the scripts from cfmaps.schmorp.de as I write this, when I
have a browsable version of the "old continent", I'll post the url here.

The reason I don't like this one so much, is because the Rainbow Islands
are supposed to be tropical, or at least warm temperate - they are a
beach/vacation resort after all.

2. change the weather code to put the poles somewhere more reasonable.
We could be very revolutionary and put it, oh, I don't know, in the
north and south?  Or follow Exalted, rule that one direction (S or E?)
is cold, another (N or W?) is warm, and the world is really flat, or
even cylindrical.  Or, my personal favorite, a reverse-discworld
approach - the world is flat (rectangular or discoid) or even
cylindrical, the outer edges are cold, the middle is warm.

Any of these would require small changes to the weather system; not only
to change the poles, but also (and almost more importantly), to know
exactly how big the world is, and fill any tiles it has no map for with
deep ocean.  I believe I could do that without breaking the code too
much.  (Alternatively, just generate actual maps filled with deep ocean,
this gives us the bonus of having more varied elevation.)

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
personal:                              http://www.laranja.org/
technical:                    http://lalo.revisioncontrol.net/