[crossfire] Moving server towards a modularized system?

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 18 02:00:43 CST 2006

> Oh if that's the case let me just commit all the mlab maps in their current uni-directory form over the objections of everyone else that prefers multi-directory. Know why I don't do that; because everyone else prefers multi-directory.

Did you need the permission of anybody to write those maps ? No. So I don't think we need your permission to explore new coding ideas, even if they finally appear to be dead-ends. Making proposals, coding a prototype, submitting a patch to the mailing list, all this doesn't mean the code will finally get into the CVS (actually, there are examples in Crossfire itself of proposals that were extensively discussed and with some code created that never got into the CVS).

> Try mucking in the linux kernel without grep, tell me how that goes.

Pretty well, actually - the Linux kernel source code is  extensively documented and is highly structured. I've worked on the kernel in the past, and never needed grep to find my way through the code.

Besides that, compare what can be compared: the Linux kernel is more than 6 million lines of code. The Crossfire code is way smaller than that. Your example suggests that using a map to go buying my newspaper every day is perfectly normal, since I'd need one to go into holidays in a faraway country.