[crossfire] Moving server towards a modularized system?

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 18 02:16:36 CST 2006

> Indeed. Just because the server can be modularized thus blocking any other new development whilst that
takes place doesn't mean it's a good idea.

There is no reason to block any other development. I suppose you know that the "C" in "CVS" means "Concurrent" ?

> I for one frown on the idea of making the server slower

There is no reason that it would be slower than it is now. There are no reason for a modularized system to be slower than the current version. The only overhead would be when connecting callbacks to objects - and that's hardly something you'd notice, unless if you're running Crossfire on a 8086 at 8Mhz...

> and blocking other development.

I think I already said it, but there is no reason to "block other developments". Everybody who has already worked in large-scale software projects knows that parallel development on different parts of the code is a rather common practice.

That you believe that only a single task can be performed at once on something like the Crossfire code shows that you urgently need to get better informed on software development/engineering techniques and more generally on modern teamwork methods.

For what is worth, I could already be working on a code prototype on my personal workstation - would you ever notice it before I submit a patch ? Would it prevent somebody else to add something in the code in the meantime ? The answer to both of those questions would appear obvious, I think, to every reasonable person.