[crossfire] Moving server towards a modularized system?

tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 18 13:40:42 CST 2006

Le Mardi 17 Janvier 2006 17:46, Miguel Ghobangieno a écrit :
>Did you not read my post. If you are screwing around
>with the code structure of the server then other
>programmers do have to wait untill you are done as
>they do not want their code to suddenly break when it
>intersects with your massive changes. You must not be
>at all experianced in these matters (as you indicated
>before in fingering crossfire for the sin of you
>having to grep through it).

Ho yes am experimented in big refactoring of team project. Once again there
won't be something as a 40% server code change in a row (unless we work on a
branch and then have to merge it in head)

>This will hold up usefull game development for months
>all because you and friends believe that you are above
>grep.

I use grep on a regular basis. But for scripts or unstructured text searching.
Moreover, you are assuming all people wanting to contribute to crossfire:
1) know how to handle grep
2) have a grep tool at disposal
crossfire is multiplatform, not every windows coder have djgnu or wygwin
installed on their system, and not every coder is skilled like you in grep.
Having to grep throught to code to guess where you have to add your new
features is a symptom of upcoming code management problems.