[crossfire] Re: Polymorph etc

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jan 19 00:51:27 CST 2006

Anton Oussik wrote:
> On the note of adding/fixing spells, could some high level spells be
> added into CF, which need higher levels (like 40, 60, 80, 100) in a
> skill to be able to cast them? At the moment there is little point in
> levelling things like sourcery beyond level 15, when you can cast town
> portal. Either re-shuffling spells about or adding some more spells to
> fill the gaps would be needed for that.

  Reshuffling of spells may make sense.  The current spell levels where set back
in the days when I believe max level was much lower.

  I'd be a bit concerned about adding new spells that are even more powerful - a
fair number of the spells are already pretty powerful at high levels, and adding
more powerful spells doesn't necessarily seem like it would help things out
much.  And I think most spells already have pretty large areas of effect -
making even bigger fireballs/cones are likely to get to the point where one
spell covers the entier map.

> Adding fighting levels to weapons would also make sense, and in my
> opinion would be more consistent for things like swords and bows than
> item power is.

  item_power currently does that.  total item power was deemed a better approach
- for one reasons, races that can not equip all the items otherwise get sort of
screwed if they are limited to wearing items below there level or something -
item power helps balance that to some extent by letting those characters equip
same power of items.