[crossfire] Re: Polymorph etc

Anton Oussik antonoussik at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 03:24:49 CST 2006

On 19/01/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
> Anton Oussik wrote:
> > On the note of adding/fixing spells, could some high level spells be
> > added into CF, which need higher levels (like 40, 60, 80, 100) in a
> > skill to be able to cast them? At the moment there is little point in
> > levelling things like sourcery beyond level 15, when you can cast town
> > portal. Either re-shuffling spells about or adding some more spells to
> > fill the gaps would be needed for that.
>
>   Reshuffling of spells may make sense.  The current spell levels where set back
> in the days when I believe max level was much lower.
>
>   I'd be a bit concerned about adding new spells that are even more powerful - a
> fair number of the spells are already pretty powerful at high levels, and adding
> more powerful spells doesn't necessarily seem like it would help things out
> much.  And I think most spells already have pretty large areas of effect -
> making even bigger fireballs/cones are likely to get to the point where one
> spell covers the entier map.

I did not necessarily mean more powerful spells. Some existing spells
can get moved up the chain, and intermediate "interesting" spells can
be added to fill the gaps, so a player always has a new spell "just
within reach".  Either that, or spell could be made to not get more
powerful with level, and then players could learn more powerful
versions of a spell they already know, which would exist every 5-10
levels.