[crossfire] New map editor

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Fri Mar 24 07:50:57 CST 2006

Robin Redeker wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I've read about following message:
>http://mailman.metalforge.org/pipermail/crossfire/2005-August/009071.html

Ahh, that SWIG bindings thing? Well, I was once looking at that, and
eventually got it to build and was operating it (I was using python, but
lava should have worked just as easily). However it seemed like and ugly
hack, and I didn't see how it could be fixed to work a a clean manner
off hand.

>We are very open to improvements. And maybe someone could discuss the
>problem with the order of map objects. The problem is, that if we load a
>map in GCE and save it again, we get many changes in the order of the
>objects.

Well, with GCE, there are a few main improvements that come to mind
after looking at it.
First of all, the pink color where you haven't placed tiles is IMHO a
bit ugly, something like a pattern (lowish contrast) or a less vibrant
color would work nicer.
Secondly, there appears to be no way of listing archtypes by name, which
in my opinion is an important feature.
Also, I think it looks a bit weird in the 'stack view'. In my opinion,
the "del" buttons should just be icon based buttons, and the items
themself would look better without the 3d widgetness (listbox as opposed
to series of buttons)
Also, the toolbox looks a little ugly to me. In my opinion the item name
should again not be in a button there. Also, the way you title the
section "Pick" looks a little odd to me, and the grid for the actions
above, seems to have a bit too much whitespace in the buttons to appeal
to the eye.
In addition, one thing that would in my opinion be a big bonus, is
instead of hardcoding how it deals with different object types, reading
it out of the same xml files that CFJavaEditor uses for that. That would
make it much easier to deal with new item types in the future, and would
also make effort to improve that, apply to both editors, causing less
effort on both sides to be wasted.

Alex Schultz

Secondly