[crossfire] New map editor

Robin Redeker elmex at ta-sa.org
Fri Mar 24 08:19:19 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 06:50:57AM -0700, Alex Schultz wrote:
> Robin Redeker wrote:
> >We are very open to improvements. And maybe someone could discuss the
> >problem with the order of map objects. The problem is, that if we load a
> >map in GCE and save it again, we get many changes in the order of the
> >objects.
> >
> Well, with GCE, there are a few main improvements that come to mind
> after looking at it.
> Secondly, there appears to be no way of listing archtypes by name, which
> in my opinion is an important feature.

Yes, this is already on the todo list.

> [suggestions about theme]

Well, Gtk2 is themable. It should be possible with a rc-file to change
such things.  But until the main _functionality_ is implemented and
stable i won't put much efford in these aspects.

> In addition, one thing that would in my opinion be a big bonus, is
> instead of hardcoding how it deals with different object types, reading
> it out of the same xml files that CFJavaEditor uses for that. That would
> make it much easier to deal with new item types in the future, and would
> also make effort to improve that, apply to both editors, causing less
> effort on both sides to be wasted.

We already use the XML file of the editor. We only added some attributes
and stuff to it. And fixed some aspects. Our version of the xml file can
be found in the CVS of the Crossfire module.

Also for the different object types (in the placement tool) i use the
data from the XML file to decide whether an object is a floor.

Robin

elmex at ta-sa.org / robin at nethype.de / r.redeker at gmail.com
Robin Redeker