[crossfire] New map editor

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Fri Mar 24 08:50:26 CST 2006

Robin Redeker wrote:

>>[suggestions about theme]
>>

>Well, Gtk2 is themable. It should be possible with a rc-file to change
>such things.  But until the main _functionality_ is implemented and
>stable i won't put much efford in these aspects.

Well, much/most of that is choice of widgets, and can't really be fixed
by an rc-file unless it's designed specifically for it (which imho is a
bit of an ugly hack), and some parts (pink backing), likely can't be
changed by that at all. Some time I might look at making some patches
for some of these elements.
Agreed, main functionality is more important than visuals.

>>In addition, one thing that would in my opinion be a big bonus, is
>>instead of hardcoding how it deals with different object types, reading
>>it out of the same xml files that CFJavaEditor uses for that. That would
>>make it much easier to deal with new item types in the future, and would
>>also make effort to improve that, apply to both editors, causing less
>>effort on both sides to be wasted.
>>

>We already use the XML file of the editor. We only added some attributes
>and stuff to it. And fixed some aspects. Our version of the xml file can
>be found in the CVS of the Crossfire module.
>
>Also for the different object types (in the placement tool) i use the
>data from the XML file to decide whether an object is a floor.

Ah, I was briefly looking through the cvs browser of your editor, and
didn't notice this so I assumed it didn't use such xml files. Hmm, one
thing I'm wondering is how CFJavaEditor would handle that modified xml
file, if it would throw out extra data that it didn't need and still
operate as normal. I might test that some time.

Another thing I was thinking, is if there isn't already one, some sort
of plugin system would be nice.

Alex Schultz