[crossfire] Modelling monsters, longer animations?

Jochen Suckfuell crossfire at suckfuell.net
Wed May 10 02:53:17 CDT 2006

Hi!

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 11:05:33PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
> Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:
> > [...]
> > Also we could (finally) have 8 directions for monsters.
> >
> > What would you think?
>
>   sounds good to me.  I don't believe there is anything preventing that right
> now, other than the necessary animation frames.
>
>   I don't think there was ever really a limit on the number of animations
> allowed for a single object.  However, I think it was more just a case that most
> people were not going to make 40 images for a single object.

10 frames \times 8 directions makes 80 images each. IIRC all those images have
to be kept in memory all the time. We might end up using more memory on the
frame images of one object than the 3d model itself used.
As long as the client doesn't support loading only those animations that are
currently needed (and caching them until a cache size in bytes is reached),
this could be a problem.

I wouldn't want to see the crossfire client's memory footprint exceed 500 MB
(or does it already? - long time no play).

Just my two cents,
Jochen