[crossfire] Modelling monsters, longer animations?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon May 15 01:23:51 CDT 2006

Pippijn van Steenhoven wrote:
>> * put generated pics in the arch/ directory
>> * put models and scripts in a new 3dmodels or whatever directory
>
> We are currently discussing this for Crossfire+. Ideas have mainly been
> expressed in IRC but some are here:
> http://cf.schmorp.de/tracker/view.php?id=49. Our plan is to make a separate
> arch3d module that contains the models in .wings, .blend, .3ds, .whatever
> and a yafray file .xml with a cfxmlrender .xml.cfg. Either there will be a
> separate arch tree or the models will just reside alongside with
> the .png, .arc and .trs files. lib/collect.pl will step over those calling
> them garbage anyway.

  I'd tend to go with just having them in the arch tree, along side the existing
images.  You then get the case, however, of perhaps needing makefiles or the
like to convert these images into whatever the standard format will be.

  A separate directory tree could also be done (3dmodels?  whatever), but then
it sort of needs to mirror the other arch tree so that one can find the original
(if it is /a/b/c here, the source is also in /a/b/c, not /d/e/f).

  One other reason that perhaps having them alongside the generated images is
simply to make it clear where the image comes from.  I could otherwise forsee
someone saying 'hmm, these images need some touch up', and touch up those
images, and not be aware that those images are computer generated and that his
changes will be lost if the 'source' for those is not visible.