[crossfire] Food consumption

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Tue Oct 10 19:33:40 CDT 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:

> Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
>>> I am running an x86_64 test server with an Opteron processor.  Food
>>> consumption seems unreal...

>> I never played Gaea before... That's what's doing it.  Regeneration +2...
>> Man, I need to carry a refrigerator around with me...  :-)
>
>   A separate discussion could perhaps be change food consumption rate.
>
>   High food consumption just means you carry around lots of food - not
>   much other affect.

Hmmm... Well, food beep seems to not be working again...  Lately I have
been working on maps with my client up and running, and have died quite
a few times due to starvation because the warning seems to not work
anymore.  It has been patched ages ago, but I guess something has broken
it again.

Also, the poor halfling cannot carry very much weight, so has to resort
o eating carcasses... blech... in a dungeon crawl.  He is not nearly
high enough level to have create food, town portal, and the like.  Not
complaining here so much as saying its not quite as simple as carrying
lots of food.

>   The food consumption probably dates all the way to back when crossfire
>   was more of a gauntlet clone (old arcane game).  Most adventure games
>   tend to  have fairly low food needs (some games don't even have good).

Food is cool... the thing is with this character, it is in your face.  Now,
on the flip side, it is way cool to have the regen rate because it makes
me concentrate on playing stealthy.  I would not change the food rate as
it relates to regeneration of stats.

>   Another thing that affects food consumption - each time you regenerate
>   an HP or SP, you lose a food point.
>
>   Thus, if you are decent level and have high regen, you're food can go
>   down really fast.

Yes... a resounding yes, but that is not what seems problematic.  It's
pretty cool to have the regen rate so the food loss there is more than
reasonable.

>   If you are fully healed, a high regen rate doesn't affect food
>   consumption that much I think.

I don't think that is true.  The 3-1 rates mentioned in the original post
were standing around doing nothing.  That's what limits you.  Now, is it
more "real"?  Probably, but it isn't scaled well with the other characters.

In all, I am enjoying the differences of playing a Gaean Halfling... but it
does seem that the food rate during inactivity is a bit high.

Kevin