[crossfire] Food consumption

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Oct 11 01:35:32 CDT 2006

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
> Mark Wedel wrote:

>>> I never played Gaea before... That's what's doing it.  Regeneration +2...
>>> Man, I need to carry a refrigerator around with me...  :-)
>>   A separate discussion could perhaps be change food consumption rate.
>>
>>   High food consumption just means you carry around lots of food - not
>>   much other affect.
>
> Hmmm... Well, food beep seems to not be working again...  Lately I have
> been working on maps with my client up and running, and have died quite
> a few times due to starvation because the warning seems to not work
> anymore.  It has been patched ages ago, but I guess something has broken
> it again.

  Looking at the code, I don't see anything odd with the foodbeep code.

> Also, the poor halfling cannot carry very much weight, so has to resort
> o eating carcasses... blech... in a dungeon crawl.  He is not nearly
> high enough level to have create food, town portal, and the like.  Not
> complaining here so much as saying its not quite as simple as carrying
> lots of food.

  IIRC, carrying capacity is directly related to strength.  Of course, halflings
have a strength penalty, so that doesn't help.

> I don't think that is true.  The 3-1 rates mentioned in the original post
> were standing around doing nothing.  That's what limits you.  Now, is it
> more "real"?  Probably, but it isn't scaled well with the other characters.

  Which is maybe a decent question - the regen rate for Gaea is seen as an
advantage.  I don't know if the high food consumption rate was factored in as a
disadvantage, or is an unintended side effect.

  And in some sense, having it as a granted ability from Gaea is a disadvantage,
in that you can't turn it off.  For other character, you can just take off the
ring of regeneration and be back to normal food consumption.