[crossfire] Rebalancing, difficulty curve -- simple ideas

Wim Villerius wim-cf at villerius.nl
Sat Sep 2 04:50:06 CDT 2006

I'd like to propose a different fix, a fix that might even allow a
linear exp. curve. Just some quick thoughts, perhaps useful?

The main problem i've observed when playing was that once you can kill a
certain mob, you can continue killing it until you 'die' out of boredom.
That means: hit - say - lvl 40 and start killing demon lords until
you're lvl 110. A method that works perfectly. (and in case you get
bored on demons, go dragons or angels, they work more or less the same)

My suggestion is to adjust the amount of exp gained by killing a certain
mob by at least hte following factors:
1) the number of that mob you have already killed
2) mob lvl / player lvl in that skill

That would make a lvl 100 player that is about to kill his 10,007th
demon lord gain about no experiece, while a lvl 40 player that kills his
first will receive a huge exp boost.

Fictive numbers:
mob X gives 100000 exp and is lvl 60

Player A is lvl 100 in his one handed skill and has killed 1000 X before
For another kill he'll get 100000 * 60/100 * f(1000) exp (where f(1000)
is a pretty small number, maybe 10% or so.

Player B is lvl 40 in his one handed skill and has never killed X
before. His first kill will give him: 100000 * 60/40 * f(0), where f(0)
is a big number, maybe even 10.

This
1) stops players reaching demigod status fast - it will take them long,
and a lot of different mobs as well. No more efficient TC-training
2) doesn't necessarily recuire a new exp curve
3) most important: makes sense. killing ants at lvl 110 should not give
exp. that's rediculous :)

Unfortunately, it requires the server to log the number of kills a
player makes. And also, what if a player dies? does the number of kills
stay the same? Makes lvling back harder. Mmm, perhaps reduce death
penalty if gaining exp gets harder?

Now aim your flamethrowers... ;-)