[crossfire] Idea: class has an effect on the amout of experience gained from certian skills

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Fri Sep 8 08:54:36 CDT 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:
> Andrew Fuchs wrote:
>
>> I came up with an idea that would add significance to a player's
>> choice of class, and be an other way to tweak experience.  What if
>> skills associated with a class give the player more experience when
>> they are used?
>> <snip>
>>
>   IMO, it is a good idea.  The previous discussion actually had it more general,
> in that there maybe multiple levels of skill gain.
>
>   Best way to handle this is by using a field in the skill itself to denote
> extra gain/penalty (as a percentage).  In this way, there could also be special
> questions, etc, that perhaps give you a better version of the skill, etc.
This seems like a good idea to me too, and Mark's proposed method of
implementation also makes sense to me. Also, one might want to consider
giving small negative bonuses for certain skills to certain classes. For
example, perhaps give warlocks a small negative bonus to
one/two-handed-weapons skills, and barbarians a small negative bonus to
literacy and/or spellcasting when they obtain those skills.

Alex Schultz