[crossfire] Idea: class has an effect on the amout of experience gained from certian skills

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Sep 9 01:34:04 CDT 2006

Alex Schultz wrote:
> Mark Wedel wrote:
>> Andrew Fuchs wrote:
>>
>>> I came up with an idea that would add significance to a player's
>>> choice of class, and be an other way to tweak experience.  What if
>>> skills associated with a class give the player more experience when
>>> they are used?
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>   IMO, it is a good idea.  The previous discussion actually had it more general,
>> in that there maybe multiple levels of skill gain.
>>
>>   Best way to handle this is by using a field in the skill itself to denote
>> extra gain/penalty (as a percentage).  In this way, there could also be special
>> questions, etc, that perhaps give you a better version of the skill, etc.
> This seems like a good idea to me too, and Mark's proposed method of
> implementation also makes sense to me. Also, one might want to consider
> giving small negative bonuses for certain skills to certain classes. For
> example, perhaps give warlocks a small negative bonus to
> one/two-handed-weapons skills, and barbarians a small negative bonus to
> literacy and/or spellcasting when they obtain those skills.

  But that gets messy, as how do you know what race/class coincide with what
skills for bonuses?

  the best way would be to have a file someplace that dictates it - you really
don't want to have to try and hardcode those.

  However, IMO, the better way would be to do it in-game.

  First, different classes start with different skills - some better than
others.  Spellcasters would generally have 'good' versions of the spellcasting
skills, and poor versions of the combat skills.

  Some of the classes may have mediocre versions of all the skills.

  Of course, characters don't start with all the skills in the game, so there
are still skill scrolls to find.

  Random skill scrolls you find in dungeons/shops would generally be 'poor' in
that you don't get a lot of exp when using the skills.  Very rarely, you may
find a mediocre one.

  I'd actually say that you should never be able to find good ones (as good as
the best starting one for a class).  Perhaps there could be quest tie-ins, but
the problem is then at some point, everyone goes on the quest and get the good one.

  A better method would be prerequisite + a quest.  Eg, to get a good version in
1-handed weapon for a mage, they need to be level 40 in the skill and do a quest
- if they have put that much effort into the skill, could give them something
for it.