[crossfire] New skill: fishing

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Tue Apr 3 16:32:56 CDT 2007

Hello.

I just committed a fishing pole (picture courtesy Maligor), and the
corresponding fishing skill.

I also changed the 'fish' archetype to be fishable :)

Technical documentation is at
http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/dev:skills#sk_harvesting

Short summary: to enable a player to fish at a certain spot (sea/river
preferably), just put a fish in the sea's inventory, you're set :)
Of course, ideally, new fish could be created, with their own specifics ^_-

The pole currently isn't part of any treasure list, so if a mapmaker felt like
doing a quest, or some fishing shop, that'd be great :)

My implementation of fishing is such that other "harvesting" skills could
easily be added (provided the skill name issue in my previous mail is fixed),
and I may add some later on :)
Many possibly ideas: honey from bees (even monsters, that'd work i think),
milk from cows, wool from sheep, wheat from field, apples from tree, you name
it

Caveats, known issues, future ideas:
* there is no limit on number of items one can get from a spot. Maybe such a
limit could be implemented (through the nrof field), or some time-based
regeneration
* this skill could probably contribute only 10% to the overall experience,
instead of current 100%
* the skill requires a tool. I'm not sure it's always required (who'd need a
tool to grab apples from a tree?), but it's a way to prevent player from
using the skill without the tool
* there could be some other requirement to use the tool - maggot to fish, ...
or consume the tool (bucket + cow => filled milk bucket?)
* adding a probability to destroy the tool could be interesting, too, maybe
based on harvested item - break your pole when trying to get a biiiiiig fish
^_-

As usual, flames and comments welcome :)

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.free.fr [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref
de l'aléatoire !]