[crossfire] Summary: Next major CF project

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Aug 10 02:07:53 CDT 2007

  Discussions started a month ago about what the next major thing to work on in
crossfire should be.  The purpose of this e-mail is to make sure I haven't
missed anything major - if this is a complete list, I'll then send it out for
voting.

  Like before, these are very general guidelines - the goal isn't to find the
solution, but rather figure out what to work on.  Once we know what we are
working on, then at that time, figuring out how to do it makes sense.  One
reason is because discussing something that is number 4 on the list may not make
sense - when numbers 1-3 are done, that may change things enough that new
options are available for solving #4, and previous options may no longer apply.
  The other reason is that by the time #4 is started, any discussions would not
be as fresh in our minds.

So in very broad terms, these are high priority major projects I saw discussed.
   Note that this is just forming a list that people will vote on, so
discussions like 'that is a stupid idea' or 'that is a great idea' are also
misplaced at this time - when the voting happens, that will determine what
actually gets worked on - if an idea really is great, then in theory it should
come up near the top of the vote total, and reverse for bad ideas.

Note also that the numbering here isn't meant to show preference - it is just
used as a way to more easily refer to different points from other points

----

1) Redo classes & races so their is more difference in them - stat bonuses,
skills, special per race or per class items.  As part of this, I think different
versions of the same skill is needed (apprentice/journeyman/master level skills
for example) - I say that should be part of this because the different versions
of a skill would be a major way to redo the classes & races.  Maybe also change
the max stat cap also.

2) Re-organize the world so there are different areas for different levels
(level  1-10 area, level 11-20 area, etc).  Add a main quest(s) that would lead
a character through these areas up to high level

3) New beginner area - perhaps start them off on their own island, and one way
exit once you leave.  Have this beginner map be full of tutorial maps, easy to
use places, etc.  If the above point is done (reorganize the world), this may
then fall into a subproject of that, or be a precursor if done first.

4) Slow down combat, so there is time to use strategy, coordinate, etc.  Part of
this is to reduce/eliminate monster vs player hp disparity.  this may also help
party play.

5) Balance magic and combat skills, so at most all levels, they are of equal
power/killing potential (this is not to say that some tactics may be more/less
effective at some monsters).  Point being a level 50 evoker should have same
ability to kill creatures as a level 50 melee weapon user.  Other skills should
be balanced/fixed so it is reasonably possible to get to a decent level in all
of them, and having a decent level is important (a level 60 chest may demand
level 60 search, disarm trap, and lockpicking)

6) Rebalance spells - highest level spell is under 30 - spells should cover the
entire range of level 1-100 (not necessarily 100 different spells, but there
should be a level 100 spell for each skill out there).  This point may be
related to #5 above, as if combat is redone, spell potency would also have to
get tuned.

7) Add class guilds - basically, your best skill determines what guild(s) you
can belong to - get certain benefits from those guilds not otherwise available.

8) Redo/clean up alchemy and related item creation skills - in a sense, every
item in the game should be creatable by characters (I'd exclude true
artifacts/map special items - those should be of legendary nature and created in
a bygone time, and details and elements of their creation long lost).  But
characters should be able to create all the potions, most rings, armor, weapons,
etc.

9) Improve party support - ideas talked about are more party quests, more party
spells, having more detailed information about current health status of other
party members, perhaps other

10) Move AC into a dodge attribute, with most armor giving dodge penalty, and
some skills giving dodge bonus - this may tie in with point #4 (slow down
combat).  Doing this requires adjusting all the in-game armor, and likely
adjustments to combat rolls.  Also, dodge and wc should go up in value to denote
they are better, not down like ac & wc currently do.

  That is all the points - I was looking for 5-10, and got 10.  It is possible I
missed something, as there were lots of e-mail messages, and I largely skimmed
through them.  Also, some things that were discussed I did not include here, as
they are not what I'd call big projects, but more issues of policy - if decided
to do that, it would be quite easy to do - issue is more if there is consensus
on doing it.

  And as said before, this message is to make sure I have covered all the points
- if we figure each project would take ~1 month (which may be way off), and we
decide to do all 10 projects, that means it is almost a year of work.  Hopefully
it isn't that long, but discussing something 6 projects (and 6 months) down the
road right now probably isn't the best use of time (it certainly isn't of mine)