[crossfire] Summary: Next major CF project

Juergen Kahnert crossfire at kahnert.de
Fri Aug 10 07:10:00 CDT 2007

We should create a CF2 roadmap page in the wiki and link for each of the
points to an extra page with detailed informations about it.

I think all of the points are worth to become realized, so it's just the
order (which project first).  But in general, they're all important and
depends on each other (more or less).

A natural order would be (point 3-5 is better made as one project):

1. races, stats, skills
2. classes, guilds
3. change combat system (including ac -> dodge, armour, dice rolls)
4. slow down combat (alter monsters, ...)
5. balance magic and combat skills (including spreading spells up to level 100)
6. improve party support
7. reorganize the world, starting with beginner area + guilds
8. alchemy redo / clean up

For example, you can't create a beginner area and than alter the combat
system.  The maps in this area may become unplayable.  Not only there.
After changing the combat system, every map / monster needs a review.

Or if you rebalance magic and combat and than slowing down combat may
mess up all the work done before.

Same for alchemy.  Finding good formulas heavily depends on the maps and
what you can find there.  Creating low level formulas with ingredients
which are after all the changes only found on high level maps won't help
either.

Because of that, voting is suboptimal.  We should make votes about
implementation details of the points, but not the order.

$0.02

    Jürgen