[crossfire] Summary: Next major CF project

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Aug 14 23:20:02 CDT 2007

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>> 2a) Re-organize the world so there are different areas for different levels
>> (level  1-10 area, level 11-20 area, etc).  Add a main quest(s) that would
>> lead a character through these areas up to high level
>
> Well, we could do some quests to have the player visit the world, that sure
> could be fun if well done :)
> As I said, I don't like that much the idea of having "main quest" to guide
> you - part of the game imo is to find quests and places to level up.

  This, like many of these discussions, is probably a matter of preference.  I'm
sure there are some folks that would prefer to have a major quest storyline that
characters could follow.

  Not every quest should be part of a main quest storyline - some quests you
would only find by talking to certain NPCs.

  Other quests may perhaps need some cleaning up or additions - if one takes the
nobility quest in scorn, I seem to recall that if one was to only do that (and
managed to never die), there are still some gaps where you wouldn't be high
enough level for the next task - I'm not sure that is a bad thing, but it might
be nice to handle that better somehow - I'm not sure filling in all the gaps is
right, but something more of 'this quest shouldn't be attempted by people less
than level 30' - that may sound a little too guided, but some of those quests
require a bit of searching to find the right place, and to go there only to find
out it is way too deadly can be annoying.

>>   For 2b above, it is a bit vague.  Is 100 quests enough?  50? 200?  An
>
> Quests are enough, as long as we actually write some. There hasn't been any
> change in maps in months, I think... and no real "quest" (by quest I mean
> something more than raffle [enter map, kill everything, take loot], I'm more
> thinking of necromancer / ancient pupland, pupland, scorn royalty quest)

  But I think it would help to having something a bit more definitive.  If we
added just 1 more quest, do we call it done?  I'd think not.  So it'd probably
be good to have some idea of the scope.

>>   Or is what you were really saying is that in order to complete what is
>> point 2a, some number of new maps is needed in addition to re-organization
>> of what is there?  I suppose some question above applies - should that be 1
>> point or 2, but in that case, I would see that if it was 1 project, the
>> scope at that point is small enough to be reasonable.
>
> No, didn't mean that, sorry if that wasn't clear :)
> I meant "non main quests are important too, to help players discover the
> world, find backstories, whatever" - all the more important as I don't like
> this idea of main quest, there are only "side quests" ;)

  Ok - so it really sounds like you the reorganization of the world isn't
related to adding new quests, so that these are then separate points - a) world
should get reorganized and b) new quests/maps are needed